Whether you’re already a CMO or aspire to be, you’ll get plenty of strategic insights from my podcast guest, Michelle Burrows, CMO at Procare Solutions, a technology company that develops solutions for child care centers.
In this episode, Michelle shares her insights for revitalizing a much loved 30-year-old brand, building high-performance teams, and being a continual learner.
Three ways to listen below!
How to be a Strategic CMO
Top 5 Takeaways
- Interview stakeholders when shifting your brand’s messaging: “We revitalized the 30-year-old Procare brand in a very intentional fashion by calling our customers and asking for their reactions to certain words and phrases. We also interviewed partners, thought leaders, and our employees. We got a lot of really great data and leveraged that in the evolution of our brand.”
- Have the right team in place: “When I shifted from a VP of Marketing to a CMO, I called up other CMOs and asked for their top tips. They all said, ‘Before you can do remarkable things, you need a remarkable team.’ So when I’m new to an organization, I spend a lot of time understanding if I have the right people and if they’re in the right seats on the bus.”
- Don’t make hasty hiring decisions: “I’ve learned to wait for the right person to show up when it comes to hiring. As desperate as I’ve been to fill a role, whenever I’ve gone against my gut and hired someone who was okay, but not great, I’ve regretted it. So I wait it out to get the right person.”
- Hire higher: “It’s my personal belief that you hire higher-level positions before more tactical ones. I’d rather hire a director than two specialists that are diamonds in the rough, because I’ll spend more time coaching which takes me away from strategic responsibilities.”
- Be a continual learner: I’m always looking to connect with other CMOs or folks in senior positions who are doing something different or interesting. My advice is don’t be afraid to reach out; I’ve never had anyone say no.”
By the way…whenever you’re ready, here are some ways I can help you stand out the noisy tech market:
1) Grab a copy of my report on original research, which includes all the details on how to use original research to capture prospects’ mindshare. Download it here.
You’ll learn why marketers are getting so much value out of their original research, the steps in conducting an original research study, and you’ll get my 14×9 content grid that gives you 14 content ideas to fulfill nine different marketing strategies. Get it here.
2) Not ready for a full-blown original research project? Work directly with me to create a roadmap. There are a lot of details to running an original research study and creating content that gets results. I’ll work with you to create a roadmap plan that ensures you’ll get the biggest ROI when you’re ready to kick-off an original research project. Contact me, and I’ll get back to you with more details.