High-Tech Industry Experience
- Do they quickly “get” your technology and understand how it benefits your buyers?
- Do they understand how to market and sell to technology buyers?
- Do they understand the typical technology sales process, including selling via direct sales, inside sales, or partner channels?
Strategic Marketing Experience
- Do they ask lots of detailed questions about your audience, their pain points, and how you address those challenges?
- Do they understand how content should align with sales-cycle stages?
- Are they experienced at interviewing subject matter experts and gently, but persistently, “pulling” out the relevant details about a solution or product?
- Do they understand the business objectives for your content? Can they suggest strategies or tactics that will help you achieve your objectives using content?
Outstanding Copywriting Skills
- Are they a skilled writer who can easily translate technical concepts into easy-to-understand, engaging benefits?
- Are they experienced in writing to a variety of buyers – from those that are highly technical and want the nitty-gritty product details to C-level executives who need relevant business benefits?
- Do they have a strong list of happy high-tech customers? A great portfolio of samples you can browse?
- If they’ll be writing demand generation pieces, like nurture emails or landing pages, do they understand demand generation principles? Do they have a demand gen portfolio they can share with you?
Does a potential copywriter need to meet all these criteria? No, but the more of these questions you can answer with “Yes!”, the closer you’ll be to finding the right high-tech copywriter for your company.
If you found this checklist helpful, please share it with your colleagues by using the social share buttons, below. Thanks!